You are to conduct a field case study and analysis of a 501(c) (3) nonprofit organization in your community. In effect, this project allows you to act as a consultant for the nonprofit organization of your choice. You will conduct an assessment of the nonprofit. Using research and your assessment, you will offer recommendations on how the organization can be improved.
In order to conduct a full analysis of the nonprofit, you must interview the executive director of the nonprofit. If you are still wary of COVID-19, you are more than welcome to conduct an interview via email, phone, or video conference call.
FIRST PART OF THE FIELD CASE STUDY: ASSESSMENT OF THE NONPROFIT
• An overview of the organization’s history, mission, and programs/services/products.
• Describe the various elements of the nonprofit’s strategic plan, if any, and the process used to develop it.
• How much is their budget? Where does their budget come from? Where does this nonprofit get funding? What percentage comes from private donations, from special events, fees and from grants?
• How many staff members? Is the staff diverse?
• How does the nonprofit recruit, hire, retain and fire employees?
• Is there high turnover?
• How does the nonprofit manage their volunteers? Is there an established volunteer program?
Resource Development (Fundraising)
• How much money is raised annually? What does this consist of? What is the biggest resource development challenge facing the nonprofit?
• Is the organization effective?
• How does the organization itself judge its effectiveness?
• What is the leadership style of the executive director?
• How are decisions made?
• What is the culture of the organization?
• What are some past and present organizational issues that have challenged the work of this agency? How has the nonprofit worked to resolve them?
• What is the composition of the Board of Directors? Race, Age, Profession
• How long does the Board of Directors serve? How are they recruited? Is there any board development?
• What assessment tools are used to evaluate the Board of Directors? Have they performed well? If not, why not?
SECOND PART OF THE FIELD CASE STUDY: LITERATURE REVIEW
• Literature review of articles that apply to your assessment of the nonprofit.
• You should focus your literature review on the areas that were deficient and what you plan to focus your recommendation section on.
THIRD PART OF THE FIELD CASE STUDY: RECOMMENDATIONS
• Detail your recommendations on how the organization can improve.
• YOUR RECCOMENDATION MUST BE SUPPORTED BY YOUR LITERATURE REVIEW AND ASSESSMENT
• Use APA Style.
• In approximately 15-20 pages (excluding sources and any appendices), support your analysis with material from the text and other outside reference sources. A minimum of six (6) outside reference sources must be used and properly cited in APA style.
• If it is not your original thought, remember to CITE!!!
The local nonprofit: